Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Music in my Soul

I love making music and listening to music.  It has always been such a part of me. From growing  up singing, violin lessons, practicing on my mom's bass in middle school, singing on scholarship (classical voice) in college amd finally picking up my electric guitar... it has always been one of my many outlets. Sure, I leave it from time to time, but I always come back. It's like a drug: euphoric, melodic, sensory in so many ways. The tactile sensations, auditory stimulations, the freedom.

For a while, I didn't even want to play the guitar I got so many years ago. More than twelve years later and it is road worn and scarred. Now, I can't imagine NOT owning it. It is too much a part of who I am. I may not be great, but I have fun and I have heart.

It has always been a constant in my life. Music is a universal language. It is math in all its glory. It crosses millenia and continents. It really is an amazing thing.

Now, I find myself in another band playing a genre I have always loved and finally get to create. Good old fashioned rock and roll. Roots American. Rockabilly, if you will. Songs that make me dance and tap my toes and make me feel young. It seems strange that I can vary my musical tastes so wildly and still find so much pleasure in all of it. Next up? Maybe a salsa band? Perhaps a tribal drum group? Roots reggae? Whatever it is, I will rock out and have a ball. I will do it as only I can: with passion.

1 comment:

Marimoy said...

I approve this message!