Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Fast Forward

Sometimes things go horribly wrong. Really. Just plain bad. At certain times I feel like I just want to skip ahead to the good stuff. A few people in my life are having a rough time of it and it is unintentionally affecting me as well. I wish I knew with certainty that it will all get better, but I don't. What I do know is that I will continue to support in any way possible. It is all I can and will do. Even if we did skip ahead to the fancy job and the stable relationship, what good would it really do? Part of being wounded is the scar tissue that builds. A little tougher than normal, more resilient. I think this "toughness" is worth it. While I would love everything to be fun and sunny for all, the reality is we need those tough times to appreciate the good times more. It helps keep things in perspective.

I can't save everyone (even though I try at my own expense quite a bit) but I can help them see that even though it seems hopeless, a lot of that emotion is emanating from you. As hokey and superficial as it sounds, we truly are our own worst enemies and if I can help someone else realize that, it was worth it. I just want everyone to be happy. The anger and bitterness is unnecessary. I saw a really good post on Facebook the other day. "Life isn't like a box of chocolates, it is more like a single coin: you only get one, so spend it wisely." Too true!

In the words of the Dalai Lama, "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

What keeps you grounded?
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

The Grown-Up Child said...

Hey Mimi. I hope things look up for you and your friends. I stay grounded through my children and music. Oops, I forgot one. Kids, music and....wine! ;)

Maritza S. said...

I have a problem with staying grounded or being grounded lol just a lil humor. No seriously I guess I feel like I am grounded in certain aspects of life and in others forgetaboutit.