Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Message I Hold Dear

I got this last year, but I really love the site DailyOM. I find a lot of what they say to be inspiring. You can save your favorites to read later, which is also nice. My real home hitters I print out and have on the wall next to my computer. There aren't many of these. Ok. There are three. One of them is really inspiring me now with my new little painting business. Here is one of the passages:

Whether we avoid something because it scares us or bores us, or because we think it will force a change we’re not ready for, putting it off only creates obstacles for us. On the other hand, facing the task at hand, no matter how onerous, creates flow in our lives and allows us to grow. The relief is palpable when we stand on the other side knowing that we did something even though it was hard or we didn't want to do it. On the other hand, when we cling to our comfort zone, never addressing the things we don’t want to face, we cut ourselves off from flow and growth.

I find that many times, when someone fails at something that seemed too easy, it is because they are unwilling to step out of their "comfort zone" and allow that fear or stubbornness to consume them, ultimately leading to failure. It isn't easy putting yourself out there for the world. You have to be ready to deal with rejection. No one really thrives off of it, but if you are willing to get a few "nos" to end up with one resounding "yes" it is worth it in the end. No one else can carry that for you. It is something you have to do on your own.

As much as I would love to have my marketer of a husband go to all the shops for me and set up my accounts, this would be the wrong way of doing things. I have to do it on my own. Allowing him to do that for me would be putting myself at a disadvantage. What if, for some reason, he is not around? How else am I to get accounts or customers? I then have to rely on friends, but it gives me more satisfaction to rely on myself. Uncomfortable? You have no idea... but it is so worth it in the end.

What forces you out of your "comfort zone?"
Bookmark and Share

No comments: