Friday, April 23, 2010

Why You Shouldn't Buy Nike


Ok, sure, people have been attacking big businesses like this for a while. When I was a kid, we were told not to buy Nike because of sweatshops, which, by the way, there was a documentary of in 2000 featuring one in Cambodia run by Nike. Now my reasoning behind it (times two) comes from a different approach. You shouldn't buy Nike because you will send out a message that you do not support misogynistic behavior and sexual assault. Vote with your dollars.

Why would I make such a claim? On the light end, Tiger Woods. On the heavy end, they also STILL sponsor Kobe Bryant and Ben Roethlisberger. If you don't know... he assaulted a woman after she repeatedly said no in a restroom. What did Nike have to say about this? Pretty much still maintaining a relationship with them and as for the allegations? No comment. Great. But there is a great article as to why on ABC! Like that makes it any better. Meanwhile Michael Vicks gets taken off their payroll right away. I am not a fan of cruelty to animals, but I am also not a fan of cruelty to women and human beings. What makes one ok and not the other?

I am a bit put off by the fact that one would take precedence over another, but this is his SECOND accusation. Nike needs to let him go. Nike needs to let all men accused of rape and assault go or they will never get a dime from me and hopefully all my other girls out there. We can vote with our dollars. They need to let us know that they really believe it is NOT okay to assault anyone! There is a good article here on Roethlisberger and a great point about Nike on Care2.

I don't know about you, but I just can't stand by and shrug my shoulders anymore. We CAN do something. We can make a stand that ANY kind of abuse towards another human being is not ok. The worst of it is I'm a Steelers fan. They won't be getting my money either.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: